Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Giving yourself Permission!

I don’t know about you but I am one of those people that is pretty hard on myself. I set goals, I have high expectations and when I don’t reach those goals and expectations, I tend to beat up on myself a bit. This is one of those habits that I have been working to change.

Sometimes I find that I set out my day so rigidly that there is quite a big part of me that wants to dive back under the doona and spend the rest of the day avoiding all of the goals that I had set up. These are the times I usually know that I have to take a step back, look at my expectations and see whether I have set them so high that I don’t have any hope of achieving them.

It is only after years of wondering why I don’t achieve my goals that I have learned that this is a self sabotage strategy. It is really along the lines of the old ‘I have banned so many foods from my life, it is all so hard, I am going to get McDonald’s’ type eating pattern that I ran for years – is it just me or has anyone else run this crazy strategy – *sigh* it may just be me!

Anyway, after years of running the strategy of setting goals so high that I am overwhelmed with the amount that I need to achieve and then run for the safety of the doona that I have discovered that ‘giving myself permission’ can really help out. So, what does this ‘giving myself permission’ entail? Well, firstly – if I am feeling a ‘running to the doona’ moment coming on, I start to ask myself some questions – ‘what if you only achieved, X and X today instead of X, X and X?’ ‘Is it okay to only get X & X done?’ This usually brings back the focus and identifies that I have probably set my expectations too high and then things move on pretty quickly from there.

Sometimes a spell under the doona can really help so instead of avoiding it, I will give myself permission to luxuriate in the fabulousness that is my doona. In allowing myself to enjoy it, I am usually ready to move on pretty quickly. It also helps me out no end as I am much more kind to myself these days.

So, do you have any ‘overwhelmed’ strategies that you run? Will giving yourself permission to ‘run to the doona’ help you out or is there something else that in order to be kinder to yourself that you need to give yourself permission to do?

Have a good week, my friends!!

Cheers,

Jodie
www.lapbandforthemind.com

P.S. We would love to hear any feedback that you have on our Fear, the Band and your life MP3 currently available on
www.lapbandforthemind.com!!

P.S. We have a new ‘Success on Optifast’ Workout your Mind MP3 coming out soon, watch out for it for anyone who will be starting the LapBand journey soon – it will be a great tool for them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment