Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Ruled by the scale?

Okay, I have a confession to make – I am a weigh-a-holic. You know the type of person, weighs themselves at least once a day and sometimes more! I have improved over time but not quite to my satisfaction as yet. When I first got the band I was weighing myself once a week and that was it, sometimes it was actually only once a fortnight – it was a huge step for me and I was really proud of myself. However, I have lately slipped back into my old ways of weighing every day – sometimes twice!!

So, what has driven this latest fascination with the scale? Well it is all to do with the Lemon Detox diet that I am doing at the moment. I have always believed in detoxing and have tried various forms over the years to create a more healthier me. The detox consists of drinking 2 litres of this syrup that is mixed with fresh lemon juice and cayenne pepper. It has been a tough few days, I can tell you. Yesterday, I went through what is called a ‘cleansing crisis’ – in other words, I got a ridiculously painful headache that lasted through the night. Today hasn’t been quite so bad but I am still waiting for the time when ‘my energy increases and I feel unbelievably great’, hopefully not too far away. I am looking forward to the benefits after the detox as well, mainly the reset of my palate as I find that doing a detox takes away many cravings – it is great to refocus on healthier eating habits.

What exactly does this have to do with the scale, I hear you ask? Well, as one of the side effects of the detox is weight loss, I have been jumping on the scales like no tomorrow. I don’t mind so much the act of jumping on the scale, what I mind is that sometimes the results rule how I feel about my day – it takes discipline for me to refocus my mind on the positive after I haven’t seen exactly what I want on the scale. I have lost weight, that is the great news and I am hoping to lose a bit more.

So, is this a harmless habit or a destructive behaviour? Well, it is different for everyone and whilst it is not my ideal to be weighing myself every day – as I would love to reach the point where weight no longer occupies quite so much of my mental space, I am giving myself a break during this time of the detox and will then focus my mind back on creating a more helpful habit of once a week and a stretch, maybe in the future – once a month? What I will do this week is consciously choose to feel positive about my day regardless of what it says on the scale!

Till next time!

Cheers,

Jodie
www.lapbandforthemind.com

No comments:

Post a Comment