Thursday, May 21, 2009

Taking care of yourself!!

One of the common areas that I have found coaching clients that either are or have been obese, is that we are very hesitant to take care of our own needs. We will happily take care of others and will certainly advise others to take care of themselves but when it comes to our own needs we are more likely to give ourselves a lecture on how lazy and no-good we are.

Jen and I experienced this powerfully last week as we both came face to face with a massive brick wall and felt like we couldn’t go on. The nicest part of working with a friend that I have known for 30 years is that I know that she will treat me way better than I treat myself (though I am a work in progress and am definitely getting better at treating myself nicer). We able to give each other permission to take some time out to take care of ourselves – and in case you didn’t notice, we did!!

So what drives this behaviour to be nicer to others than we are to ourselves? Well, for me, it was always about not feeling good enough - basically never living up to my own or others expectations. I have come a long way and have practised a lot but sometimes it still rears its ugly head in my life. For example, this week I didn’t go to the gym on Wednesday because I was sick on Tuesday night but I caught myself asking people if it was okay to do this – as if they would know better than I would how I felt?!?? I ended up not going and being very proud of the fact that I chose to be nice to myself rather than punish myself with exercise as I have done many times in the past.

The very best way that I have found to change this way of treating myself is via a tip that I saw on Oprah (oh yes, I love Oprah!!). The tip was to treat yourself in the way that you would treat your child, best friend, niece, nephew – basically anyone that you love unconditionally. This has been excellent for me though it is always a trick to catch myself when I am doing it and turn it around.

On a personal note, I am back at Bikram yoga which I am just loving!! I am also off for a fill tomorrow, definitely have been able to eat more lately which is no good!!

Until next time!!!

Cheers,

Jodie Flynn
www.lapbandforthemind.com

No comments:

Post a Comment