Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Overwhelmed, impatient, angry - what's a girl to do?


I don't know about you but there are times when I despair that I am ever going to get to my healthy weight range again. I look at the numbers that I have done so far on my program and then work out how many weeks at that pace it would take me to get to my goal. I usually am aiming for a particular event that I want to look good for or something like that and when I have worked out the numbers I will get very angry and impatient that I am not going to get to my goal ‘in time’ – many, many times in the past, this has been the point when I will give up the program – wow, is that crazy or what?

I had one of those times over the weekend, I was looking at the numbers and then thinking about how long it would take me to get to my goal and bam – I am overwhelmed, impatient and angry. Then I remember, there is nothing more certain in life that if you look at the big picture too long, you will get overwhelmed. So the answer to doing overwhelm is to break down the goal in to more bite size chunks. Focus on the small chunks and look at the next step in front of you only and you will find that the feeling of overwhelm dissipates nicely.

The feelings of impatience and anger didn’t go so easily – I had to put a bit more thought into it and my thinking went like this: Does it matter how long it takes? What is the alternative? Are you doing this for health? The great thing about weight loss surgery is that there really is no ‘giving up’ on the journey because I could never go back to my pre-surgery way of having a binge at this point, it is just not physically possible for me. However, it is really important to move your thinking there as well – this is where we all need a Lap Band for the Mind as well as for our stomachs!!

It is interesting the different strategies that we have to ‘get through’ the journey of losing weight. How about realising that the time that it takes to lose our excess weight is a critically important time in which to change our thinking and our strategies!! Here are some questions to ask yourself:

What is your strategy for getting impatient or angry on the journey?
What are some questions to ask yourself to move out of that strategy?
How can you use the weight loss journey to improve how you manage yourself?

Cheers,

Jodie

www.lapbandforthemind.com

No comments:

Post a Comment