Friday, January 30, 2009

That rollercoaster called life.....

After a lovely week of happiness, I had some news that threw me for a loop and has left me considering how I handle challenges these days. I used to eat lots and lots of food, that was my modus operandi, so what do I do now that I have the band and most assuredly can’t?!?!?

Well, my first step was to let myself crumble – I gave myself permission to lie on the couch and have a good old cry. It really helped to acknowledge that I am human and it is okay to feel sad, angry, disappointed and not to eat those feelings away – though I confess, I did have some chocolate.

Since that day, I have gradually picked myself back up. I made sure that I continued going to my Bikram Yoga classes. Boy, those classes are ridiculously tough and certainly one of the benefits that I’ve found is that it releases emotions. It certainly did a couple of days after the news when I hit some rough spots in the session and the emotions came bubbling out.

After that, I have had some great chats with some trusted confidante’s as well as my coach. This allowed me to work through the issues and start to plan for what I could do in the future. I started to gain back my hope and optimism.

So, whilst the past week has been an emotional roller coaster, I woke up yesterday feeling that I was moving past it. Instead of eating away my emotions, I have a new strategy for challenges:

1. Allow myself to feel whatever emotions have come up as a result of the challenge
2. Keep up the physical exercise
3. Speak to trusted friends, family and coaches to be sounding boards and to start looking to the future

One quote that seems to keep jumping out at me that I have found enormous comfort in this week is ‘this too shall pass’ – it is a great quote for getting through a tough exercise session, an emotional outbreak or getting through the Melbourne heatwave (I keep thinking that in a few short months I will be rugged up in my winter woollies at the footy with days on end 40+ temperatures a distant memory)!!

So the questions for you this week are:

· How do you comfort yourself when you are challenged?
· What is your strategy for moving past challenging situations?
· Who are your trusted people to help you move from despair to hope?

Thanks for reading and have a wonderfully cool and hopeful week!

Cheers,

Jodie
www.lapbandforthemind.com

No comments:

Post a Comment