Friday, July 31, 2009

The ups, downs and changes!

So, it has been a little while since I posted and it has not been a great time for me personally. It is in these difficult times that I like to review how things are going as well as try to find the positives to focus on rather than the negative. Don’t get me wrong, I do fall in a heap and allow myself time to be upset or angry or whatever feeling that I am feeling at the time but I generally choose to let that go on for a certain amount of time before I start looking for a plan going forward. Thankfully, I have been able to do that and though I am a little sad, I am moving forward.

I have been thinking about my Lap Band journey a lot in the last few days and have really noticed some differences in myself. These are some changes that I didn’t even realise were occurring, they have kind of snuck up on me. Firstly, I am eating way, way slower than I used to. This is a really big thing for me. I used to eat extremely fast and now people that know me are even commenting on how slow I am eating! It is nice to slow down and enjoy my food rather than hoovering down like I used to. One of the reasons that I used to eat very fast was that if I was eating something ‘bad’ I would want to eat it as fast as possible to minimise the guilt that I felt for eating it – crazy hey?

That’s another thing, the guilt has reduced significantly. My relationship with food was terrible before I had the band. I swung between two extremes of eating only fresh fruit, veg, rice, potatoes and chicken and fish to eating junk food at every meal. I had gone on so many restrictive diets in my time that almost every food had been banned at some point. I pretty much felt guilty about every food that I ate. Now, I have discovered that given the choice, I generally pick the healthier item. I am not there by any means, I mean even this week when I when things weren’t going great, I turned to chocolate and unhealthy choices – I’m still a work in progress!

I’ve also started to stick my toe in the ‘normal’ shops. I have been hanging back because I wasn’t sure that I would be able to fit into anything but I am getting braver and more confident by the day. Speaking of confidence, I went out with my husband’s family last week for dinner. This would have previously sent me into a spin of ‘I have nothing to wear, I look horrible’ and I would try to find excuses not to go. It was so easy finding some nice clothes that I didn’t even think anything of going out for dinner, I had fun! This is a big change and has really snuck up on me!!

The other thing that is going on with me is that I am going to train to do a 10km run. In my previous skinny life I once ran a half marathon so I know how to train for it. I have already mapped out my 10 week plan so I will update you each week on how I’m going. The run itself is part of the Melbourne Marathon and ends with a lap of the MCG!! I am not going to aim for any time, I am going to aim to get through it!!

Here is my plan for next week:

Monday: 15mins steady run
Tuesday: 20 mins of fast intervals
Thursday: 15 mins steady run
Saturday: 30 mins slow jog

Don’t be fooled by the words ‘running’, I would class my ‘running’ as a very slow jog type shuffle but I am out there doing it so I am proud!! It is an ambitious plan but I need a good healthy focus at this point!

Till next time, my friends....

Cheers,

Jodie

www.lapbandforthemind.com

P.S. Have you checked out Jen’s and my photo’s on
www.lapbandforthemind.com? We will keep them updated over the months so you can see our journey!!

No comments:

Post a Comment